When you make chocolate chip cookies part of the process is, you eat some of the cookie dough. It has also been one of those, you aren’t supposed to do that type of things. Everyone does it anyways. Who can blame you when chocolate chip cookie dough tastes so good? What if I told you that, you can have your cookie dough and eat it too, with no worries of salmonella? You can with this easy eggless, chocolate chip cookie dough.
Today for my 12 days of Homemade Christmas I want to talk about a classic cookie, the chocolate chip cookie. We love chocolate chip cookies in our house they are something I knew I needed to figure out how to make once I became gluten free. They are comfort food for my family.
I have been making chocolate chip cookies since I was a little girl. I remember making them in Home Ec for our group project and fighting with my partner about how to make them. Those were probably the worst cookies I ever made. Chocolate chip cookies were the first cookie I taught Shortie to make. Chocolate chip cookies and I go way back!
I was the girl that would bring chocolate chip cookies into work that my coworkers would gobble up in minutes. My cookies became must haves for deployment care packages. A world without chocolate chip cookies was not a world I wanted to be in. I had my work cut out for myself. I knew if anyone could do it, I could. I have had random people come up to me at the commissary and ask me for cookie baking tips. Oh and yes, it was random and odd but hey if I can help someone else perfect a chewy cookie, i’ll help. I was ready for my gluten free chocolate chip cookie challenge.
It took a little time but I soon figured out how to make an awesome gluten free chocolate chip cookie. Some gluten free all purpose flour blend, xanthan gum and tweaking my recipe I soon had the perfect cookie. The tips I have included in my recipe came long before Pinterest. They are tried and taste tested by many over 15 years.
Check out my recipe and make them for your family and you will fall in love with them too!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Country Girl Gourmet
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bag or 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter,shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, and vanilla until light and creamy.
- Stir in in gluten free flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt and stir until well combined, forming cookie dough. Last, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover cookie dough and refrigerate the dough. The longer you refrigerate the dough better. 24-48 hours is perfect but if you are low on time an hour or two will work.
- Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls (I use a cookie scoop) onto cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until cookies have spread and the edges have turned golden brown.
- Try to allow cookies to cool on a cooling rack otherwise they will fall apart and you could burn your mouth 😉 Be patient! They are worth the wait!