On the twelfth and last day of Homemade Christmas, I made Candy Cane Cookies.
For years my youngest son could not eat chocolate, he was allergic. Eventually, he outgrew the allergy but now as a teen, he is not that big of a fan of chocolate. Unless that chocolate is a Reese’s cup of course.
I always keep him in mind when I am putting together my holiday baking list and try to make something special for him. That is where the idea of this candy cane cookie came from.
I had bought a bunch of candy cane related candy and had been trying to figure out how to use it. I had regular candy canes, soft candy canes, and Candy Cane Hershey kisses.
What I decided to do was to bake some sugar cookies and add crushed soft peppermint sticks and top with a Candy Cane Hershey’s Kiss because, why not. The end result was a pepperminty and chewy cookie that my son loved.
The Candy Cane Hershey Kiss is completely optional. These cookies are perfect with or without them.
I can’t help but think that these Candy Cane Cookies would be great with some hot cocoa but they disappeared before I could try the combo out. I think I may need to make another batch. Do you think Santa would like some?
What type of cookies are you leaving out for Santa Claus this year?
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-8 soft peppermint sticks, crushed
- Candy Cane Hershey Kisses, optional
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Stir in crushed candy canes.
- Refrigerate cookie dough for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. Press Hershey Kisses into the center of cookies if desired.
This recipe is adapted from Easy Sugar Cookies from Allrecipes.com
Don’t Forget to check out the rest of our 12 Days of Homemade Christmas!
Click HERE for the 2018 Homemade Christmas list