On the seventh day of Homemade Christmas, I made Hot Cocoa cookies that my daughter fell in love with.
One of my kid’s favorite things about cooler weather is that it means it is hot cocoa season. It is all they want to drink when it is chilly out. So I made them hot cocoa cookies, a chocolate, chocolate chip cookies with mini marshmallows.
To create the cookie I did some research on other hot cocoa cookies and what I found was a slew of hot cocoa cookies made with hot cocoa mix. Hot cocoa mix is primarily cocoa powder, sugar and some sort of dairy product. Looking at the rest of the recipes they were some sort of chocolate, chocolate chip cookie recipe. I decided to skip the cocoa mix and go with our favorite chocolate, chocolate chip cookie and take it to the next level. That is pretty much what this cookie is anyways.
I do have to take a moment and talk about marshmallows. When you make hot cocoa cookies you want to use dehydrated marshmallows like those in packets of the drink mix. These can be found at grocery stores or on Amazon. I found mine at Kroger. The reason for this is because regular marshmallows leave a huge mess because they melt.
These cookies are perfect for your family, friends, cookie exchanges and Santa Claus. I bet Santa would love one of these cookies over a cold cup of hot chocolate and ordinary cookie. Bake up a batch and try them out and see for yourself hoe great they are!
What type of cookies are you leaving out for Santa this year?
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dehydrated miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Refrigerate cookie dough for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
This recipe is Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies 1 from Allrecipes.com
Don’t Forget to check out the rest of our 12 Days of Homemade Christmas!
Click HERE for the 2018 Homemade Christmas list