On the sixth day of Homemade Christmas, I made Pecan Sandies for my son.
Growing up pecans were part of going to my great grandparent’s house. They had a small home in Beaufort, North Carolina and in the front yard were gigantic pecan trees. My siblings and I didn’t spend too much time in the house. We had a job to do, we had to pick up pecans for great grandma and granddaddy. In return, we went home with just as many pecans.
For years, I would look the other way at pecans. I did not like pecan pie and hated it when my mom would add them to cookies. As an adult, I now want all the pecans and to my surprise kid 2 really likes them too so I knew I wanted to include some in my list this year. I kept coming back to the recipe for Pecan Sandies while making my list.
Why Pecan Sandies, I really don’t know. Until I made the cookies, I had never had one. Not even the ones made by the Keebler elves that I used to think lived in the trees at their former factory in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The cookies are now a favorite of my son so I am glad that I made them. They will now stay in my Homemade Christmas baking list.
How do you feel about nuts in cookies?
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- ½ cup white sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, vegetable oil, 1 cup white sugar and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the pecans. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll each ball in remaining white sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
This recipe is Pecan Sandies from Allrecipes.com
Don’t Forget to check out the rest of our 12 Days of Homemade Christmas!
Click HERE for the 2018 Homemade Christmas list