I was provided with free product that helped facilitate this blog post. All opinions are mine alone.
Avocado, you either love it or hate it but it is one of the hottest vegetables to eat right now. My husband loves it! He will eat avocado in every form imaginable. Plain, in sandwiches, and turned into guacamole, he loves them all. His current favorite is Guacamole Turkey Burgers.
We love burgers in our house. If I ask my kids what they want to eat the majority of the time they will say burgers. We probably have them a couple times a month. They are a quick and easy dinner that I can have on table, in no time at all. As a busy mom, I can appreciate that. Sometimes, I want to change them up and these guacamole turkey burgers for putting a new spin on a classic.
For the burger patty, you can use premade or make your own patties and then season with the southwest blend and cook your favorite way. In our house that is either the grill or my electric skillet. While the burgers are cooking you whip up a quick and easy guacamole. Sure you could use prepared but homemade is easy and taste so much better!
When your burgers are done cooking, place the turkey burger patty in a bun (I used Ball Park brand) and top with guacamole and your favorite toppings. Serve with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
Have you tried guacamole on a burger?
- 8 Ball Park® Hamburger Buns
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ground turkey breast patties
- 3 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons favorite Mexican salsa (Pico de gallo is perfect too)
- kosher salt to taste
- Trimmings: as desired, such as mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles
- To make guacamole, sliced avocados in half, lengthwise. Remove the pit and discard. Scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon into a bowl.
- Add juices, chili powder, salsa and salt and mash with a fork until nicely chunky.
- Cover with plastic and set aside. (If you want to make the guacamole an hour or so ahead of time, you can keep it fresh in its bowl in the refrigerator by pressing plastic wrap onto the surface of the guacamole so that no air reaches the avocado, which is what makes it turn brown.)
- In a bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika until thoroughly blended.
- Brush each patty on both sides with olive and sprinkle with the seasoning blend on both sides.
- Using a skillet or grill pan, cook patties over medium-high heat, covered, about 5 to 6 minutes per side, until no pink remains. If you're adding cheese, do so for about the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Brush each bun on both sides with melted butter and warm in another skillet over medium-high heat for about 15 seconds per side, just until toasty.
- Place patties on each bun bottom, top with guacamole and other desired trimmings. Serve with a little salsa on the side.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com