While it may appear that I have dropped off the face of the blogosphere, I promise I haven’t. Some things may have taken up a bit more of my time than I expected, in real life that happens. What I haven’t done is stop coming up with blog ideas and working on new recipes. Just trying to get my hot southern mess creativity on in general. I have been having debates about what I should blog about next. Do I go with something Easter-related or do I go in some other direction? In perfectly, hot southern mess fashion I chose to go the other direction with a deliciously easy recipe for Quick Taco Bake Pie. It’s perfect for Taco Tuesday or any day of the week.
We love tacos in our house, along with Mexican food in general. If I make anything along those lines it is almost always a guaranteed hit for my family. I know I could eat Mexican food every day without getting sick of it, it is my absolute favorite. It was one of my favorite things about living in El Paso, Texas. Quick Taco Bake Pie is not authentic Mexican food, more of Tex-Mex but delicious none the less.
The recipe combines the delicious flavors of tacos with a pumped up cornbread base. The best part of the recipe is that it is quick and easy. Something I really appreciate during busy weekdays when I am trying to get dinner on the table for my hungry family.
A few plus’s of the recipe are:
- My kids can make with minimal help from me.
- Can easily be made gluten free.
- Can be on the table in less than 1 hour.
- Do I really need to say more than tacos?
This quick taco bake pie saved dinner for me a couple times in the last month when I was knee deep working on a special project. Thankfully, easy recipes like this one are staples around my house. Life happens and you get busy sometimes but that is no excuse not to eat good. Plus, did I mention, tacos?
So what do you think? Are you ready to give Quick Taco Bake Pie a try?
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or homemade seasoning)
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread mix (such as Jiffy®)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup corn
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn chips, partially crushed
- Cook and stir ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crumbled, 7 to 10 minutes; drain grease. Add taco seasoning; mix well. Stir in salsa and black beans; remove from heat.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan or casserole dish.
- Mix corn bread mix, milk, egg, and honey together in a bowl until batter is smooth; stir in corn. Pour batter into pie pan. Layer ground beef mixture over batter; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Top with corn chips.
- Place in a cold oven; set temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake until sides are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
Recipe is Quick Taco Bake Pie from Allrecipes.com