One of the things every person needs to have is a recipe for a really great breakfast. I often fall into the make pancakes or waffles for breakfast but my family often wants something different and a bit heartier, more on the bacon and eggs side of things. Something like a skillet with all of their favorite things so a Hearty Potato Skillet is what they got. With potatoes, bacon, sausage, cheese and an egg on top, it fulfills any breakfast craving
To tell the truth, I’ve never been a big fan of breakfast. I’m not a huge fan of eggs. I can be a big girl and try them but that doesn’t mean I like them. This is probably why when I think of making breakfast it involves sweet things like pancakes and waffles. I love a good breakfast potato or some breakfast sausage and of course bacon but putting it all together has never been my thing. My husband and boys, on the other hand, are the complete opposite they love a good hearty breakfast with eggs of course so I’ve had to learn how to make them. It has taken practice but I finally have my fried egg game down. They just take patience and cooking them low and slow to get them to come out perfect.
Making the potatoes for the base of this skillet couldn’t be easier. I don’t know why I’ve never thought to boil my cubed potatoes before frying but it makes them turn out perfect. A quick fry in the bacon grease to brown them up and I had perfect home fries.
All that was left to do was assemble potatoes, sausage, ham and bacon, some cheese and topped with a fried egg. It was a breakfast lovers delight! I know my guys all devoured their Hearty Potato Skillet and I now had the perfect thing for mornings when a heartier breakfast is needed?
What is your Favorite thing to eat for Breakfast?
- 5 medium potatoes, cut into large bite-size pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) package sausage links
- 4 thick slices bacon
- 2 ounces cooked ham, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or more to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil; add potatoes and boil until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and cook sausage links. When cooked through, remove to a plate. Add bacon to the same skillet and cook to nearly your desired doneness. During the last few minutes, add cubed ham to crisp and heat through, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove bacon and ham with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Reserve grease.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add onion and bell pepper; season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook and stir occasionally until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place cooked potatoes in the skillet with the bacon grease over medium heat. Brown on all sides, turning gently as needed. Season potatoes with seasoned salt and pepper, to taste.
- Melt butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Fry eggs to your desired doneness.
- Distribute browned potatoes among 4 plates. Top with bell pepper-onion mixture, and the meats. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and top each with a fried egg.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com