There are a few foods that remind me of my grandma, they were always the ones she had made and in the house when we would visit. One of those was Zucchini Bread. I’m not even sure when my love of her zucchini bread began. I can tell you that after I got married my grandma sent me a handwritten copy of her recipe on an index card after I asked her for it and I still make the same recipe. Well, almost, I know make it gluten free and a wee bit healthier by subbing apple sauce for some of the oil. Even with my minor changes it taste just as good as her’s.
Visiting my grandma I vividly remember her garden and the different things she would grow. Her zucchini though, there were no words. She had this way of growing amazingly humongous zucchinis. I can only wish to have the luck she had with my own squash plants. I am struggling with my own this year, my plants just haven’t been producing like they should. I’m not sure why other than i’ve been fighting squash bugs. I have been able to get a couple decent sized zucchini’s though. The debate then became what to make, zoodles or zucchini bread. Zucchini bread won because well it’s zucchini bread and zucchini bread is oh so yummy!
I made my loaves of zucchini bread with one grated zucchini from my garden. Typically you will use two to three depending on the size of your zucchinis. I also grate the entire thing, skin and all.
I quickly mixed up my batter.
Minutes later it was ready for the oven.
Now it was time for the hard part. Waiting for the zucchini bread to bake. It takes an hour to bake and that just seems like forever. The wait is worth it though for some of the best zucchini bread I have ever tasted. The only better tasting zucchini bread would have been my grandma’s but that is now only a happy foodie memory.
What is your favorite way to use up zucchini?
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Oil (vegetable, canola)
- ½ cup Applesauce
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Grated Zucchini
- Grease two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Cream together Sugar, oil and applesauce in a large bowl. Then beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
Enjoyed your zucchini bread recipe!
Thanks for sharing it.
So good!! Thank you.
Absolutely delish ! Did use all applesauce and added some nuts .. but I’m sure it would have been just as perfect without having t
can you use regular flour?