It’s been a busy few weeks around these parts but I can now say school is out for summer! The craziness that abounds in my house has already started. Who am I kidding, it is crazy around here all the time. This time all I said was that I was going to make a Gluten Free Blueberry Muffin Peach Cobbler.
I am sure you are wondering how a baked treat that is a mashup of two delicious favorites, Blueberry Muffins and Peach Cobbler can cause craziness. It is simple, all I did was say peaches. We have to go back to 1996 and a song by alternative rock band, The Presidents of the United States of America named, Peaches. Here, 20 years later peaches cannot be mentioned in my house without their song being sung, mainly by my husband but I know all of the words too. This weekend my husband showed the video to our kids and they just laughed and wanted to be ninjas. Of course this could only be followed with my husband and kids showing off their best ninja moves.
One thing you can’t deny is the song is catchy and is the type of song that get’s stuck in your head. After my husband played my kids the song I kept singing about millions of peaches while I made my cobbler. Ok, I confess, I sing the song whenever I buy peaches, eat a peach or make something with peaches.
Back to Blueberry Muffin Peach Cobbler, I have always loved the peach and berry combo, I just had never thought to use blueberry muffins as a topping for a peach cobbler. After trying it out though I have to wonder why I didn’t think of that sooner! It really is a great recipe mashup!
I can’t take credit for this mashup though. The original recipe came from Allrecipes but I did tweak it a bit for my family. The original recipe calls for coconut oil, coconut sugar and almond milk which I replaced with regular canola oil, granulated sugar and good ole 2% milk. If you want to use those in your recipe please go for it and let me know how it turns out. I just have a “weird” food allergy to coconut and was out of almond milk so I made my substitutions. Honestly, I bet you could even make this recipe with regular all purpose flour too and it would turn out beautifully. Again if you try it, let me know how it turns out! I would love to know.
The only thing I could think of that could make this gluten free blueberry peach cobbler even better was a scoop of vanilla ice cream, so I topped off our cobblers with a scoop. It was the perfect summertime treat! I will be making this dessert all summer.
What are some of your favorite recipe mashups?
- Blueberry Muffin Batter:
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Peach Cobbler:
- 4 cups sliced peaches
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk milk, egg, oil, and vanilla extract together in another bowl. Add to flour mixture; mix well to combine. Fold blueberries into the batter.
- Mix sliced peaches, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Spoon blueberry batter on top of the peaches.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden, 40 to 50 minutes until done.
The original recipe can be found at Allrecipes.