A few years back, when my oldest and youngest still ran USATF track I was introduced to a pasta dish at a team dinner that I fell in love with, Spicy Chicken Rigatoni. I came up with my own version and my family loved it. Then when I gave gluten the boot I stopped making it. Truth is there really aren’t a ton of different gluten free pasta shapes. There is penne though and it is similar to rigatoni. Well, it is close enough for me. Spicy Chicken Penne is now something that has been added back into my families meal plans and is a meal my kids would eat weekly if I would let them.
This meal is EASY to make. It is a complete cheater version, or semi homemade. If you do not like using jar pasta sauce you may not want to continue reading because this penne dish uses it. This meal has like 8 ingredients and that is includes the seasonings and optional parmesan to sprinkle on top. My recipe is also to feed a crowd or a large family like mine. I have 4 kids y’all and they aren’t little ones. Not just that they are teens and tweens but they are tall kids too and are still growing! Seriously, they eat so much food it is not even funny. Y’all would be shocked to know how much my family spends on groceries every month.
The last big plus to this meal, it is a 30 minute meal. No, I have never timed it but it is one of my meals I go to when I need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. You cook your chicken while waiting for your water to boil. Then while your pasta is cooking you warm up your sauce with the chicken. Simple and easy!
If you are looking for something quick and super easy meal to make for your family and they like a bit of spice, I can’t help but suggest this spicy chicken penne. Just add a side salad and you have a good meal that your family will love!
What are your go to Quick and Easy meals?
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, diced into bite size pieces
- 2 12 oz boxes Penne (I use gluten free)
- 1 24 oz jar of your favorite Spaghetti Sauce (I use a tomato , basil and garlic sauce)
- 1 15 oz jar Alfredo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper, divided
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water (salt if desired) to a boil. Add pasta and cook per package instructions (8 to 10 minutes) or until al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet, sprayed with cooking spray or using 1-2TB olive oil, over medium high heat, saute chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, and ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Drain any excess juices.
- Reduce heat to low and add spaghetti sauce and alfredo sauce, stirring until well combined. Simmer for 10 minutes until sauce is warmed.
- Combine sauce and cooked pasta, sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper.
- Serve topping with parmesan cheese if desired.