It is officially summer, woohoo! I love the warm weather even the 90 degree days. Those extra hot days just mean it is time for frozen treats. My family is all about frozen treats. We each have our favorites. The top of my list is sorbet. I happily will pick sorbet over ice cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love my ice cream but I will choose sorbet first any day especially when it is homemade.
Sorbet is simple, it is fruit and simple syrup that is frozen. Using all the wonderful in season fruits and berries is in my opinion one of the best parts of making homemade sorbet. My newest favorite flavor has been Strawberry Peach. I used some beautiful local strawberries that I had picked and froze for later from my favorite produce stand, Gillis Hill Road Produce. Then I found some early season peaches. Peaches aren’t just for Georgia, we have local peaches here in North Carolina too and they are wonderful! Mix the two together with some simple syrup and you have something special. I had to fight my husband just to get some it was so good and he isn’t a huge fan of peaches.
Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
- ½-1 cup white sugar (based on your fruit’s sweetness)
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups strawberries (hulled)
- 1 cup peaches (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate until cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Blend strawberries and peaches in a blender or food processor until pureed. Stir pureed fruit mixture into sugar mixture.
- Pour mixture into a large resealable plastic freezer bag. Seal, and freeze for 45 minutes to an hour. Move the contents around in the bag every 15 minutes while freezing. OR.... Transfer fruit mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer sorbet to a one- or two-quart lidded plastic container; cover surface with plastic wrap and seal. For best results, sorbet should ripen in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight