Jalapeno Poppers are one of my husband’s favorite snacks that he requests all year long. The spicy jalapeno, the cheese to help mellow the heat of the jalapeno, and then bacon, because everything is better with bacon. Jalapeno Poppers are little bites of addictive yumminess! Once you eat one you just want more.
The first time my husband had jalapeno poppers was at a friends house for a get together and he fell in love with them. Not too long after my husband started asking for the tasty bites and I found myself trying to recreate the jalapeno poppers. The recipes I found all seemed easy enough but they were all made on the grill. I didn’t want to turn on the grill just to make jalapeno poppers so I tried out making them in the oven and it worked beautifully!
While wearing gloves, cut jalapeno’s in half and remove seeds. Gloves are important, you can get a chemical burn from the jalapenos. I learned this the hard way. I use jalapenos in different things I make all the time, but never more than 2 at a time. I gave myself a chemical burn that nothing really helped other than keeping my hands in baking soda paste or sour cream but with 4 kids it is not feasible to have gooey fingers for an extended period of time.
When cutting the jalapeno’s in half I also have learned to keep the stem on. That way you have a little boat to fill and less oozing out of the ends.
In a bowl mix together cream cheese, cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder. Fill your jalapeno “boats” with cheese mixture. Note depending on the size of your jalapeno’s you may have leftover cheese mixture. If desired sprinkle with additional Mexican cheese.
Once the jalapenos are filled wrap each jalapeno with a half of a slice of bacon and securing with a toothpick if needed.
Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is desired crispness.
Then all that is left to do is to chow down and enjoy your jalapeno poppers!
- 12 Fresh Jalapeno's
- 1 8oz package of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup of shredded Colby- Jack Cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 6 slices of bacon, cut in half
- ½ cup Colby- Jack cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- While wearing gloves, cut jalapeno's in half (leaving stems) and remove seeds.
- In a bowl mix together cream cheese, colby-jack cheese, garlic, and onion powder.
- Fill your jalapeno "boats" with cheese mixture. If desired sprinkle with additional colby-jack cheese.
- After the jalapenos are filled wrap each jalapeno with a half of a slice of bacon and securing with a toothpick if needed.
- Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is desired crispness.