On the 12th day of Homemade Christmas, I made a beautiful Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Mocha Frosting.
If you are looking for the perfect cake to make this Christmas, look no futher, this Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Mocha Frosting. It is the perfect cake for the holidays and fans of peppermint and chocolate.
My oldest falls into that later category, the peppermint chocolate lovers, and this was his birthday cake this year for his 18th birthday.
For the last few years he has what we call “diabetes cakes” for his birthday cake. You know, the type that have so much sugar you would probably get diabetes just by looking at it.
This year for his birthday I knew I wanted to be the “best cake ever”. It was his eighteenth birthday and next year he will be away in the Army. This could have been quite possibley have been the last birthday cake I make him. Would it be weird to make him a cake when he isn’t here?
He loved his cake this year and I couldn’t help but think that it would be perfrct for Chrisdtmastime.
The cake is a classic chocolate cake, Hersheys Perfect Chocolate Cake, to be specific. It is a recipe that is in my grandma’s collection. The only tweak I make when making it is to use coffee instead of water in the recipe. The frosting is a chocolate buttercream that has instant coffee and peppermint extract added to it.
When you combine the two you are left with amazing cake that your family and friends will love.
Don’t feel like messing with a layer cake. Try this recipe out as cupcakes too!
- Chocolate Cake-
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder 1½ teaspoons baking powder 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
- Peppermint Mocha Frosting
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½-1 teaspoon mint extract
- 8-10 tablespoons heavy cream
- soft peppermint sticks (optional)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- Chocolate Cake-
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in hot coffee (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Cream butter until smooth, then gradually add in sugar, cocoa and instant coffee alternately with heavy cream. Blend in vanilla and mint extract. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Frost cake or cupcakes as desired decorating with peppermint sticks and melted dark chocolate if desired.
Chocolate Cake recipe from Allrecipes.com