It’s February! That means this month some of y’all may be celebrating Valentine’s day. For those of you that are eating healthier Valentine’s day doesn’t mean that all your healthy eating goals need to be set aside for the day. You can still have sweet treats and eat healthy. I recently discovered a great flourless chocolate cupcake recipe that is perfect for special occasions.
Right now i’m pretty much down to one good arm so before my surgery, I was doing some recipe experimentation. Even though I own a Kitchen Aide I like to hand mix my cake and cookie batters. I knew my arm may not be up to the job and I’d need to use one of my kitchen appliances to help out. I never thought that appliance would be my blender. Yes, cake batter in the blender!
The recipe I found was not your typical chocolate cupcake batter. It is a gluten free cupcake batter but it isn’t made with any of the usual gluten free flour blends. It isn’t made with flour at all. The recipe uses oatmeal instead. Yes, the stuff you eat for breakfast! It is coarsely ground in your blender making a flour, well kinda. That’s not the only unusual cake ingredient in this recipe. These cupcakes also use bananas and peanuts in the recipe, creating a better for you swap. Plus instead of sugar, the recipe uses a mix of honey and real maple syrup.
When whipped up in the blender a tasty chocolate cupcake batter is created and is easily poured into cupcake liners and then popped in the oven to be baked.
After the cupcakes were cooled to keep the calories on the low side I topped with a little, whipped topping but honestly a sprinkle of confectioners sugar would have been great too. They were the perfect chocolate cupcake and my family loved them and kept asking for more like I never give them sweet treats. The best part is my family had no clue about all the better for them swaps I made. I hope your friends and family like these flourless chocolate cupcakes as much s we do!
What are you baking this Valentine’s Day?
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons peanuts
- 1 cup coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1½ banana
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with cupcake liners.
- Place oats in blender and create a course "flour". Next, add peanuts baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder and blend to mix.
- Finally add coffee, eggs, banana, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the blender; puree until smooth and well combined.
- Pour or spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com