If you are looking for a cookie that is easy to make, looks not only pretty but is also tasty, Citrus Shortbread Cookies are the cookies you need to make!
The holidays can be a crazy time. I know for myself that nothing has been going as planned and I am having difficulty even getting my training runs in. Then you add in cookie swaps and other things that you need to bring a sweet treat for. We can’t forget about all those last minute gifts you need to buy. That is where these cookies come in.
You make up the dough for these cookies in advance and then portion the dough into a couple logs and wrap in wax paper and refrigerate until you are ready to slice and bake them. The shortbread dough can be refrigerated for a week and you can have cookies anytime you need them. All you need to do is slice and bake.
The cookies not only look pretty but are tasty also. The shortbread is studded with chopped dried cranberries and orange zest. I make them using only vanilla paste/extract but the original recipe calls for almond extract also. Either way is pretty tasty.
These Citrus Shortbread Cookies will be loved by anyone who gets a tin full of them!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, or more to taste
- 2 cups sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Beat the butter and confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract and orange zest. Mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the cranberries; mixing just enough to evenly combine.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions, then roll into logs about 7 inches long. Wrap each log in wax paper or plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove wax paper, and cut the cookie dough into ½-inch slices. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm but not browned, about 10 minutes.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com