Continuing on with this year’s Homemade Christmas I have Polvorones de Canele, Mexican Cinnamon Cookies.
Polvorones de Canele are a Mexican Cinnamon Shortbread Cookies and this recipe comes from Allrecipes and my friend Stella!
Not too long ago another Allrecipes Allstar was asking for tried and true Christmas cookie recipes for a cookie contest at her work and Stella recommended these shortbread bites. Reading through the different suggestions they caught my eye and I ran to the kitchen to make them. Ok, I walked but, I went to the kitchen to make them immediately and I am glad I did!
If a snickerdoodle and shortbread cookie had a baby it would be Polvorones de Canele. These cookies are the perfect melt in our mouth bites full of cinnamon sugar yumminess.
They are also perfect for sharing and perfectly filled up my Christmas tins.
I know I would love to get a tin full of these! I could too. This recipe can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free flour instead of all purpose flour.
I think the only way to make these cookies better is to eat them while sipping some Mexican hot chocolate. Mmmm… That would be some cookie time perfection!
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (regular or gluten free)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, cream together ½ cup confectioners' sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour, salt, and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture to form a stiff dough. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Mix together 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; roll balls in cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until nicely browned. Cool cookies on wire racks.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com