If there is a recipe that every family needs in their go to arsenal of family recipes it would be a good recipe for pancakes. Perfectly, Fluffy Pancakes! Pancakes are eaten in my house on a semi regular basis. Sometimes for breakfast while other times for dinner. While it is easy to pick up a box of pancake mix, pancakes made from scratch are just better! It has taken a little time to find my families favorite recipe and I have yet to find another that even comes close. I don’t think another one exists!
When looking at the ingredients for this recipe some may say, huh? Vinegar in pancakes? Yes, there is vinegar in this pancake recipe. It is added to milk to make a faux buttermilk or sour milk. I’m sure you could use buttermilk but making faux buttermilk is easy and saves you some calories. Now who doesn’t like saving a few calories?
Another place you can save calories this pancake recipe is the oil you choose to use. The original recipe calls for butter and yes the pancakes turn out beautifully with butter but they turn out just as fluffy and delicious with canola oil. I can’t try coconut oil due to my allergies but I bet they would be just as delicious when made with coconut oil. Want to cut the oil completely? Use applesauce.
The last thing I love about these pancakes is that they are add in friendly! They turn out just as beautiful with your favorite pancake add ins. Blueberries, Chocolate chips, grated apple and cinnamon all mix in beautifully!
I’m telling you these pancakes are awesome and not just because they are gluten free and well, they don’t taste like many gluten free breads. Make them for yourself and see how really great they are! I am sure you will love them as much as my family does.
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons of your favorite cooking oil or apple sauce
- cooking spray
- Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
- Combine gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda,xanthan gum, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour ¼ cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes Fluffy Pancakes