I am a mom of 4, add on to that a mom of special needs kids so…. mornings in my house can be hectic and down right crazy but there is one thing we need every morning, a good breakfast.
I love giving my kids a good healthy hot breakfast and this recipe fit the bill along with being easy to make. French toast casserole in the crockpot! Who would have thought. I whipped this up way after my kids were asleep so no mommy I need this or that while i’m trying to create breakfast. I did wake up several times during the night to the yummy aromas of cinnamon and nutmeg. That may have been the hardest part. Then in the morning voila, breakfast was ready as soon as we woke up.
Try it for yourself!
- 1 loaf sandwich bread (white or wheat), diced
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- Place cubed bread in a large bowl
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and then mix in milk. pumpkin puree, brown sugar, vanilla and spices until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and mix until bread is well coated
- Pour bread mix into a well sprayed crockpot
- Cook on low 6-8 hours/ overnight.
- If needed allow to sit uncovered for up to 30minutes before serving if too moist (I live in the desert so I did not do this)
- Serve and enjoy. Top with maple syrup, whipped cream or powdered sugar
- Note- Some great add in's to this recipe would be chocolate chips or pecans;) I did not do this do to one kid with a chocolate allergy and my kid’s aren’t a big fan of nuts in cookies/muffins etc. they prefer to eat them plain.